Center Church Camp Asto Wamah completed its 107th season in 2016. We are proud to have served tens of thousands of children and youth over the years. If you are interested in exploring the possibility of having your child attend camp in 2017, we would be happy to add you to our mailing list. Our brochure/application is mailed on February 1, 2017 and registration is done on a first-come, first-serve basis. I am always happy to communicate with parents about Asto Wamah. If you have questions or need information, please do not hesitate to email me through the Contact Camp page.
This year, we will complete most of the registration process. You still need to mail your child's application along with the registration fee. You will then receive notification of acceptance via the email address provided on the application. The email will direct you to download the (1) Health History, (2) Exam Record, (3) Authorization for Medication Administration, and (4) the CAW Concussion Fact Sheet located below on this page. If you are unable to download the forms, please contact me at 860-649-8614 or firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send them to you. Thank you for helping us transition to the digital age!
Nancy Maclean, Camp Director
2017 SCHEDULE, FEES & REGISTRATION
The 2017 registration fee of $50 is due at the time of registration and it is not refundable or deductible from the camp fee of $475 per week. Final payment for all sessions must be in the hands of the Treasurer by June 1, 2017. Make checks payable and send to: Center Church Camp Asto Wamah, 42 Route 87, Columbia, CT 06237.
There will be 3 two-week sessions. The 1 one-weeker is the only coed session. Here are the details:
- June 25 to July 1 Coed Ages 8 to 12
- July 2 to July 15 All Boys Ages 8 to 14
- July 16 to July 29 All Girls Ages 8 to 14
- July 30 to August 12 All Girls Ages 8 to 14
CAMPER HEALTH FORMS
All Camper Forms should be completed and returned in advance of the child's arrival this summer. Click the links below to download the forms. The completed forms should be mailed to CAMP ASTO WAMAH, 42W ROUTE 87, COLUMBIA , CT 06237 or faxed to 860-327-5618.
There are five (5) places where the parent/guardian needs to sign and one line where the camper must sign. Please read each page carefully and be sure to fill out all requested information.
This form must be completed by the child's physician each year. A physical examination is required every 2 years. No child can be admitted to camp without this signed form.
This form is necessary only if you are sending medications (either prescribed or over-the-counter) to camp with your child. NO medications brought to camp will be administered unless accompanied by this completed and signed form. A separate form is required for each medication brought.
ARRIVAL & DEPARTURE
- Campers arrive between 1:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. on the starting Sunday of the session
- Please do not arrive earlier than 1:00 p.m.
- Departure is between 8:30 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. on the final Saturday
- Campers who are staying for consecutive sessions (for example session 3 and session 4) are asked to go home for the one night between sessions because there is often a need to make staff changes at that time. Two-week campers DO NOT go home for the middle weekend of the session.
- If for any reason you are concerned about the release of your child to another related adult, please state in writing those relatives to whom your child should not be released. Attach such a statement to the Health History and Parent Information form or give it to the camp director, Nancy Maclean.
WHAT TO BRING
- Sleeping Bag
- one blanket
- one sheet and a pillow
- sneakers or tie shoes
- sturdy play clothes
- long pants
- sweatshirt or jacket
- two bathing suits
- sandals or flip-flops
- warm pajamas
- laundry bag
- toilet articles
- non-aerosol insect repellent
- fishing gear
- notebooks and pencil or pen
- games and flashlight
- Girls attending Girl's Camp: One outfit consisting of green shorts and white blouse or tee shirt.
WHAT NOT TO BRING
- Food, candy, gum: please advise relatives NOT to send edibles.
- Money: all money is held at the Camp Store
- Medications: all must be kept with the nurse
- Hand-held electronic games such as DS, DSI
- Cell phones
- Electronic devices with downloaded videos
- Any device that can access the Internet
It is very important that campers receive frequent letters from home. We will diligently try to make sure campers are writing home as well. We ask you NOT to send packages. If you find that your child has forgotten a pillow or some necessary clothing then a package is in order. However, packages that are strictly gifts, trinkets and non-necessities present a problem. Pack for camp carefully, trying to include everything needed.
Take I-84 east from Hartford to Exit 59, I-384 through Manchester to U.S. Rt. 6. Follow U.S. 6 for 8 miles bearing right on Rt. 87 (Jonathan Trumbull Highway). The Camp’s private road is at the top of the hill on the right. The entrance is marked by a sign. Asto Wamah is 22 miles east of Hartford.